Deeper Learning Resources
Welcome to the one-stop-shop for deeper learning resources. This repository is composed of resources from the many organizations working to advance deeper learning outcomes for all students. Don’t see your resource listed? Use this form to send it to us.
- Levers2Learn Deeper Learning 101 InnovationBIF Student Experience Lab (SXL) and The Hewlett Foundation
This interactive website explores the barriers and enablers educators face in implementing deeper learning practices in their schools. The site allows visitors to hear educators talk about their day-to-day experiences working to bring deeper learning to their students within the context of public schools.
- Decoding Deeper Learning in the Classroom Deeper Learning 101Hewlett Foundation
This guidebook helps reporters, parents, and others understand what twenty-first-century learning looks like and whether it’s working. It explains how deeper learning classrooms are designed, what the students are learning, and which questions can be asked to dig deeper with the students and educators.
- Student-Centered Learning Assessment Deeper Learning 101 Innovation InstructionEducation Writers Association
What if students themselves were the focus, and the primary goal was to structure their learning in the way that best met their individual needs?
- Spotlight on Deeper Learning Deeper Learning 101 Innovation Instruction ResearchEducation Week
This collection of deeper learning articles is hand-picked by Education Week’s editors.
- Learning Deeply Blog Assessment Deeper Learning 101 Equity Innovation Instruction Leadership Policy ResearchEducation Week
Hosted by Education Week and organized by Harvard education professor Jal Mehta and education writer and former senior fellow at the Alliance for Excellent Education Robert Rothman, explores the practice and policy issues around expanding deeper learning.
- Description of Deeper Learning Deeper Learning 101Hewlett Foundation
The Hewlett Foundation details exactly what deeper learning is, why deeper learning is important, how it prepares students, how it is possible for all students, and how the Foundation is committed to ensuring deeper learning gains traction in American education.
- Essential Reading List for Deeper Learning Deeper Learning 101Teaching Channel
A comprehensive list of “great reads” recommendations from deeper learning experts.
- Deeper Learning Defined Deeper Learning 101Hewlett Foundation
This article defines and details the six deeper learning competencies.
- Asking More: The Case for Deeper Learning Deeper Learning 101 EquityHewlett Foundation
A major contribution to educational thinking by emphasizing “deeper learning” as the key to the twenty-first century.
- Deeper Learning: Highlighting Student Work Deeper Learning 101 District Model Instruction PlanningEdutopia
This blog series delves into how and why deeper learning works. This project highlights the best and most crucial aspects of deeper learning.
- Beyond Knowing Facts: How Do We Get to a Deeper Level of Learning? Deeper Learning 101 Instruction LeadershipKQED’s Mindset
Katrina Schwartz reports on her experience with the deeper learning MOOC (massive open online course). In this article, she writes that she feels there is a movement “to codify the different pieces that define the deeper learning approach, and to spread the knowledge from teacher to teacher, school to school” through the MOOC.
- Study of Deeper Learning: Opportunities and Outcomes Equity ResearchAmerican Institutes for Research (AIR)
In a series of reports, AIR researchers compare strategies and cultures, students’ deeper learning opportunities, and student outcomes for students who attended high schools that focus on deeper learning (“network schools”) compared to those who attended comparison (“non-network”) schools. August 2016
- Education for Life and Work: Developing Transferable Knowledge and Skills in the 21st Century Deeper Learning 101 Instruction ResearchNational Research Council at the National AcademiesThis report defines “deeper learning” and “21st century skills”: considers these skills’ importance for positive outcomes in education, work, and other areas of life; addresses how to teach them; and examines related issues. July 2012
- Deeper Learning Video Series Deeper Learning 101 District Model Innovation InstructionTeaching Channel
The fifty-plus videos in this series showcase ten deeper learning networks that are preparing students for success; they collectively serve more than 500 schools and 227,000 students.
- A Time for Deeper Learning: Preparing Students for a Changing World Deeper Learning 101 Equity Federal Policy Policy State Policy WorkforceAlliance for Excellent Education
This brief examines deeper learning—the knowledge and skills all students need to succeed in college, a career, and life—and explains its necessity and analyzes the growing body of global evidence supporting its widescale implementation. May 2011
- Understanding the Skills in the Common Core State Standards Equity Instruction PolicyAchieve
This report identifies the types and ranges of college- and career-ready skills reflected in the Common Core State State Standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy, using the deeper learning standards and the Career Cluster Essential Knowledge and Skills Statements as benchmarks. December 2012
- Deeper Learning Skills to Common Core Standards Crosswalk Instruction PolicyEducational Policy Improvement Center
This document explores the relationship between deeper learning strategies and Common Core State Standards.
- Three Studies Show Impact of Deeper Learning Equity Higher Education PolicyAmerican Institutes for Research
This blog post references three studies that examine relationships between deeper learning and student outcomes.
- Deeper Learning: Improving Student Outcomes for College, Career, and Civic Life Planning Policy Research State Policy WorkforceAmerican Institutes for Research
To prepare for the demands of postsecondary education and the workforce, students need to master content and build skills that allow them to collaborate with others, and then apply that knowledge to new situations. Students will be able to access a wider range of opportunities in college, career, and civic life if they possess the necessary skills to work with others and critically analyze and address new challenges. August 2015
- Deeper Learning, A Primer for State Legislators Policy State PolicyEducation Commission of the States
This primer is created for state policymakers seeking to modify instruction and assessment policies to better engage today’s students. The primer defines deeper learning; explains how it overlaps with other active learning strategies; and describes how it can be and is being accomplished at the state policy level. September 2015
- Deeper Learning Opportunities Within the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Federal Policy PolicyAlliance for Excellent Education
This video explores how states can use the greater flexibility afforded by the Every Student Succeeds Act to ensure that all students graduate from high school having developed deeper learning outcomes necessary to succeed. These outcomes include the ability to think critically; solve complex problems; collaborate with peers; communicate effectively; and be self-directed.
- Advancing Deeper Learning Under ESSA: Seven Priorities PolicyJobs for the Future
This brief recommends seven ways for supporters of deeper learning to take advantage of the changing education policy landscape, as authority shifts from the federal government to states and local districts. The authors outline priorities to help the nation’s high schools move from a largely inequitable system to one that prepares all students for college and a career with the full range of academic, personal, and social skills needed for life success. March 2016
- Measuring Deeper Learning Through Cognitively Demanding Test Items: Results from the Analysis of Six National and International Exams Assessment ResearchRAND Corporation
This research assesses the cognitive demand of six nationally and internationally administered tests to interpret the results of the new generation of assessments being developed by SBAC and PARCC. 2014
- Developing Assessments of Deeper Learning: The Costs and Benefits of Using Tests that Help Students Learn AssessmentStanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education
This report argues the need for stronger curriculum and assessments for deeper learning techniques and analyzes the costs of these assessments in relation to their lower-quality counterparts. 2013
- On the Road to Assessing Deeper Learning AssessmentCRESST
Investigates how two consortia’s assessment development efforts are likely to product tests that measure and support goals for deeper learning. January 2013
- Performance Counts: Assessment Systems That Support High-Quality Learning Assessment Policy ResearchCouncil of Chief State School Officers
This white paper describes what a student assessment system could look like if built from the principles and best practices found in current educational research and effective educational systems in the United States and high-achieving nations around the world. May 2010
- Getting to Higher-Quality Assessments: Evaluating Costs, Benefits, and Investment Strategies Assessment PolicyStanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education
In this report, the Assessment Solutions Group reviews the results of all their analyses to determine the affordability of higher-quality assessments. March 2013
- Criteria for High-Quality Assessment Assessment WorkforceStanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education
Based on the changing demands of today’s workforce advances in other nations, and original analysis, this report provides a set of criteria for high-quality student assessment. June 2013
- Assessing Deeper Learning Assessment PolicyAlliance for Excellent Education
This policy brief shows what assessments that measure deeper learning look like, how they are used in other countries, how technology can support their development, and how they can be implemented feasibly.
- Estimating the Number of Students Who Were Tested on Cognitively Demanding Items Through the State Achievement Tests Assessment PlanningRAND Corporation
This report estimates the percentage of U.S. elementary and secondary students assessed on deeper learning skills through statewide math and English language arts achievement tests at the beginning of Hewlett Foundation’s deeper learning initiative. November 2012
- What Does Deeper Learning Look Like? Assessment District ModelAlliance for Excellent Education
In this video, meet the students and teachers of City Arts and Technology (CAT). CAT is entirely focused on supporting students so they can be successful in college, a career, and life. At the heart of the school’s approach to teaching and learning is the school’s unique deeper learning assessment system.
- How to Teach Us District Model Instruction Planning Professional Learning Teacher PreparationHigh Tech High Graduation School of Education
This course provides educators with strategies to integrate student voice into their educational process of several students from High Tech High.
- Educator Micro-credentials Instruction Professional Learning Teacher PreparationDigital Promise
These forty educator micro-credentials are designed to recognize educators for the skills they learn throughout their careers in order to craft powerful learning experiences for their students.
- Developing a System of Micro-credentials: Supporting Deeper Learning in the Classroom Deeper Learning 101 Instruction Leadership Professional Learning Teacher PreparationDigital Promise
This system of micro-credentials provides professional educators with a new way to identify competencies they are developing and gain recognition for the skills they learn throughout their careers.
- Deeper Learning MOOC Instruction Professional Learning Teacher PreparationHigh Tech High
This free, flexible, nine-week massive open online course (MOOC) allows K–16 educators to learn about how deeper learning can be put into practice.
- Learning That Lasts: Challenging, Engaging, and Empowering Students with Deeper Instruction Instruction Professional Learning Teacher PreparationWiley
Written by Ron Berger, Libby Woodfin, Anne Vilen, Jal Mehta, this book serves as an instructional guide for educators seeking to reform their classroom practices to expand deeper learning opportunities for their students.
- Deeper Learning Planning Guide Instruction Professional Learning Teacher PreparationMonica Martinez
- Deeper Learning Micro-credentials Instruction Professional Learning Teacher PreparationDigital Promise
- Debating Real Scientific Questions Fosters Deeper Learning Innovation Instruction PolicyEducation Week
In this blog post, Hillary Mills, academic dean and instructional coach at Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School (NY), highlights the impact of deeper learning on student inquiry in class.
- Building Competencies for Careers: Preparing Students for Twenty-First-Century Jobs Research WorkforceAlliance for Excellent Education
This webinar, cohosted by the Alliance for Excellent Education, Center on Education Policy (CEP), and Council for a Strong America, features new research report from CEP on the most valuable skills and competencies required for more than 300 occupations nationwide.
- Work-Based Learning in Linked Learning: Definitions, Outcomes, and Quality Criteria WorkforceCalifornia Center for College and Career (ConnectEd)
This document strives to (1) clarify for teachers, partners, and others implementing Linked Learning the definition of high-quality, outcomes-driven, work-based learning, and (2) increase alignment among Linked Learning partners and technical assistant providers so that support for Linked Learning practitioners around work-based learning is more coherent, coordinated, and effective. November 2012